Mandy and I are blessed to have his and hers walk-in closets in our master bedroom. They were outfitted with the standard wire shelving but were not optimized at all foe the space (Mandy’s closet, for example, had a large window in it eating up a large amount of wall space). So, as Mandy’s Christmas present, I remodeled both closets.
I started with hand drawn plans and measurements before laying everything out in more detail with Visio. I aslo ordered two ready-to-assemble cabinets from my friends at The Cabinet Authority to provide each of us some drawer space.
Below is a gallery of pictures showing the closets beginning to end:
One thing I did differently on this project than I have done on previous built-ins was to use pocket hoes and crews rather than routing dadoes. It provided a different construction process but did not save any time, caused issues hiding the pocket holes, and I would not choose to use this technique again on a similar project.
All that is left now is to have the built-ins painted, which will be Mandy’s present to me (paying someone to paint them, that is).